Saturday, January 31, 2009

...but I did make bread.

No progress whatsoever has been made in the Peace Corp essays, as my roommate absconded to the Southlands (aka Olympia) for the evening. I took advantage of his absence by having the internet all to myself, catching up on Lost, and Grey's Anatomy... then I started watching this new show called "True Beauty", which is the brainchild of Ashton Kutcher and Tyra Banks (the creators of two of my favorite guilty pleasures, Beauty & The Geek and America's Next Top Model, respectively), so you would think that I would just be head over heels for this show.

And you know what, it's kind of ehhhh, not so much. The show is all about judging inner beauty in secret, while making a big show of judging outer beauty. Man, the women are catty and the men are, well, just as catty. Honestly, I don't know why I bother watching "Reality" television in which people are not showcasing actual skills and/or participating in sweet social experiments (a la Project Runway and B&TG)

This is making me sound like a terrible person. I really do have terrible taste in television, when I actually indulge myself... the only shows I am a weekly junkie for are Gossip Girl and The Office. And Gossip Girl is just for Leighton Meester, she is cute and I want to put her in my pocket. And Ed Westwick's really fabulous hair.

Anyway, I had a brief conversation with Star about our collective laziness on FB when I finally managed to get OFF my butt and into the kitchen. The time had come. I would not be defeated by a "easy" bread recipe. I bake complicated cakes and pies that could win contests, I will never concede to bread.

...or use a bread machine, that's cheating. My dough is hand-kneaded and tastes the better for it.

Anyway, long story short, after reading the recipe wrong, and subsequently being angry at the recipe, I took matters into my own hands, added an extra cup of warm water (which actually just brought it up to the CORRECT amount because apparently I cannot tell the difference between 1s and 2s anymore...), baked in a beautiful spring-form round pan and it is DELICIOUS. I figure I will make it one or two more times and then move on to three more difficult recipes, and then I will start experimenting. If I make good recipes, maybe Star and Hannah will put it on Hanzipan and I'll get internet famous or something.

I took some really nice sunset pictures, they're up on dA, and that is all the news I have right now. Stay tuned for fighting with my mother (which probably won't happen since we haven't fought in about four years...)

No comments: