Saturday, January 31, 2009

oh, PS

My mother left me a phone message last night, and this is how the scene played out in my head, starting from before she called me.

Mom: (comes home from long day of teaching and other such things, sees my brother Ben and his girlfriend Lauren in the kitchen, they are cooking) Hi guys!
Ben: Hi mom.
Lauren: (says nothing, because she is like a scared mouse, but probably smiles and waves)
Mom: What are you doing?
Ben: Cooking.
Mom: How come?
Ben: ...because we're hungry?
Mom: Of course! (goes into the living room to set up her after-school work)
B&L: (come into the dining room, where the table is set, Ben proceeds to serve her some delicious food, and then himself and they have some kind of romantic dinner thing that MY LITTLE BROTHER COOKED JUST FOR THEM)
Mom: (grabs phone, dials me) (in a conspiratorial whisper) Erin... hi! Its mom, I just called to say hi and (lowers voice further) your brother is doing something really cute, he cooked dinner for Lauren, they're eating it right now ooooohmyyygosh it is SO cute! (raises voice a little bit) Anyway, that's all, call me later! Love you!

No comments: